Friday, March 23, 2007

My favorite company

I recently read an article online that solidified why Patagonia is my favorite company. I mean, what other company has the quote "There is no business to be done on a dead planet" etched into its front door? The quotation is from David Brower of the Sierra Club. Honestly, Patagonia goes right along with my whole idea behind this blog. We don't need a lot of stuff. Yes, Patagonia makes stuff. But they make good stuff. They make stuff that lasts. And they stand behind their stuff and take it back if it doesn't work the way it should.

I read Yvon Chouinard's book, Let My People Go Surfing, with nothing less than astonishment. Chouinard has chosen to do business in a way that runs counter to most businesses. There is heart in Patagonia and it shows. Check out what some businesses do with some of their annual sales: 1% for the Planet.

Ok, enough hero worship for one day.

No comments: