HOLY SMOKES! We have a lot of food in there!!!
I filled an entire 8.5"x11" sheet of paper with the inventory. Then, we challenged each other to come up with 8 meals. The more things we used, the better. Here are our lists (which will also give you an idea of what is in our pantry):
- Lentils, onions, tomato sauce and spices over rice.
- Steak with veggies in green simmer sauce over brown rice. *
- Scones with scrambled eggs. *
- Meat/rice loaf (like meatloaf but with rice). *
- Salmon rolls w/sushi rice and seaweed. (We eat this a lot).
- Tofu with veggies in green simmer sauce over rice.
- Pasta with tomato sauce.
- Lasagna w/tomato sauce and faux cheese. **
- Tacos w/refried beans and / or burritos with scrambled eggs and beans.
- Pasta Puttanesca. **
- Rice and mung bean casserole. **
- Cuban style black beans (from dried beans) and rice.
- Linguine w/ pesto. *
- Risotto with some frozen veggie.
- Spring rolls (like the ones we get at our favorite Thai food restaurant) with water chestnuts. *
- Three course meal: butternut squash soup, smoked oysters w/faux cream cheese on crackers, pasta with mushroom & truffle pate.
- Miso soup with rice, seaweed and tofu.
Notes: Not everything on our lists is in the pantry but every meal on our lists uses at least one thing from the pantry. One star (*) was for using more than one thing in the pantry. Two stars (**) was for using a few things in the pantry and for creating something that sounded really good at that moment.
It was a really fun exercise and now we are challenged to eat out of the pantry. There is nothing wrong with having a pantry full of food unless you don't eat any of it because you don't know what is in there. That mystery is solved. For now.