Friday, April 25, 2008

The High Cost of Stuff

Last year I spent a lot of time trying to reduce the clutter in my home. I feel like I did pretty well - when we moved into my house, my office was filled top to bottom with boxes. Now, I have shelving up and my desk and I work there. I purged by selling things, giving things away, giving things to Goodwill. I have never had a storage unit, nor felt like I particularly needed one. After reading this article on Get Rich Slowly, I am glad I never got one.

Do you have a storage facility that you store stuff in and pay for each month? You may want to rethink that decision.

I still have a long way to go in my basement. In fact, I have a whole area filled with toys, clothes, and baby equipment that I am storing until the end of May to sell at a big sale. But little by little, we are getting things out of our house. Now if I can just stop the flow of stuff into the house (especially paper!)!

1 comment:

Андрей said...

One my friend uses the following technique to answer the question if he needs some stuff when it comes to uncluttering. He calculates how big area it will take to store something. Then he calculates how much money he should spend to leave this thing, how it is really useful and how often he will use it. And after that he compares if the cost and use of something are bigger than the cost of storing. If no, that thing goes out.