Monday, April 23, 2007

Don't go back to sleep

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don't go back to sleep.

You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep.

People are going back and forth across the doorsill
where the two worlds touch.

The door is round and open.
Don't go back to sleep.

-Jelaluddin Rumi

I heard this poem recently at a conference and haven't been able to get it out of my head. I do love sleep but sometimes what I really need are the secrets that the breeze at dawn has to tell me. What about you?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't heard any secrets yet, but Luc is pretty happy being all bundled up in the jogging stroller at 6am, and I am pretty happy being outside too. It's so quiet and peaceful outside.

ering said...

keep listening!!! :)

Anonymous said...

this poem was stuck in my head tonight and i read it in a book a few years ago...it took me a while to find it. i have trouble sleeping alot and now i think maybe theres a reason...

or i could be an insomniac, either or :)

i love the poem

Unknown said...

If you keep getting up you will hear the secrets...try things like writing, praying or meditate...the secrets come quietly at first...keep at it...these hours are sometimes called the ambrosial hours.